Skip to main content
9:00 pm
>> since we started our coverage of flight 370 we wanted to focus on the passengers of the flight, the mothers, fathers, friends and colleagues who are simply missing. set your dvr every night so you can watch "ac 360" whenever you want. piers morgan starts right now.
9:01 pm
this is cnn breaking news. >> this is "piers morgan live." tonight breaking news focused on the cockpit. questions about the pilot of flight 370, his behavior and what investigators think might have happened. meanwhile, the fbi working around the clock trying to find clues on the computer hard drives of both the pilot and copilot. and dangerous weather rolling in again to the search area in the southern indian ocean where planes and ships are hunting for any trace of flight 370. this in a part of the world that's renowned for high winds and rough seas. aircraft from australia, japan, china and the u.s. are closing in on the site along with ships from australia and china. all searching for what's being called the best lead yet in the mystery of flight 370. 122 objects floating in the southern indian ocean ranging in size from 3 feet to 75 feet. it turned up on satellite images from a french defense firm on sunday. they're digging into that and every other new detail of the information with my experts. our big story remains flight
9:02 pm
370. we're covering every angle. with cnn reporters all over the globe. it is 9:00 a.m. in perth. tell me what the expectation is today. we've seen again 122 new images potentially of plane wreckage. do they think they can get anywhere near where they think they were? >> reporter: well, they certainly are hoping to. they've got 11 aircraft up in the air today. just about an hour ago the chinese jet took off. we're expecting another five civilian aircraft to take off in the next few hours. then the u.s. military planes will go out. it's critical that they try and get to this area. they're going to cover two sectors with about 78,000 square kilometers in all. it's critical they get low enough to see this debris and actually identify, to eyeball it and see what it is.
9:03 pm
whether it could be a piece of the plane. because if they can't see it then really they'll have to start all over again with a new search area. and that's why it's so important for them to get off to an early start today. >> and in terms of the weather, what are they saying? how long really before they think it's going to get rough again? >> reporter: yeah, they're saying later today they expect the weather to deteriorate. and unfortunately this is the way it's going to be for the next few weeks even. we're getting into winter here, of course. and basically they've got this month or so where they have these windows going to try to fit as much searching as they can. but as soon as winter hits here according to an oceanographer i spoke to yesterday, it will be absolutely impossible to go out. too stormy, waves too high to see anything. >> thank you very much indeed. turn now to new developments in the investigation of the pilot and copilot of flight 370. pamela brown has this. pamela, a new "usa today" report out today quoting a senior malaysian investigator as saying
9:04 pm
that malaysian police believe that captain zaharie shah quote deliberately redirected the aircraft. your sources i believe are hearing something different. tell me what the latest is. >> reporter: well, piers, the officials i've spoken with with knowledge of the investigation are not ready to jump to any conclusions or make any leaps. simply they don't have the concrete evidence to back up that theory. the sources say that investigators haven't found a smoking gun in either of the pilots or copilots' backgrounds that would suggest a premeditated act. a source in malaysia tells cnn a search of the pilot's home didn't turn up any evidence such as a suicide note that would suggest financial, psychological or marital problems. also, piers, a u.s. official close to this investigation tells me forensics experts have not found anything yet that jumps out at them after a preliminary look at the captain's simulator hard drive and both of the pilots laptops. important to keep in mind this is an ongoing investigation. investigators continue to dig into the backgrounds of both of those men.
9:05 pm
but so far again sources telling cnn there is no concrete evidence at this point implicating the pilots in the plane's disappearance. however, they are still a top priority in this investigation. and investigators are still focusing on them. >> but going back, pamela, to this "usa today" report, obviously a prestigious newspaper. they've obviously got what they believe to be a good source on this. can we rule out the possibility that the captain zaharie shah deliberately redirected this plane, or is it something that is even for those who doubt this particular report say is a potential option here? >> everything is on the table, piers. so basically speaking to sources they say they're not ruling out anything. but that both of these pilots, both of them are still being looked at. they're still trying to put a profile of these men together, piers. but essentially there's just no concrete evidence. we still don't have the plane. as i said, there is no smoking gun found on their hard drive yet and found in their homes according to sources. so without that concrete
9:06 pm
evidence, sources are saying how can you sort of jump to that conclusion that it was a deliberate act. however, piers, you look at the process of elimination. these were the two men in charge of that plane. they were in the cockpit. so of course they're going to be a focus of this investigation. just not the sole focus according to my sources. >> pamela brown, thank you very much indeed. i'm going to bring in sara sidner in kuala lumpur. sara, what are you hearing about the malaysian end of all this, in particular the investigation into the pilot and copilot? >> reporter: you know, piers, what you just heard from pamela was spot on as you brits would say. what we are hearing is that of course they are looking into the pilots' background. that is a natural thing you would do in an investigation to see if there were any, for example, emotional problems happening at this point. but until we have an official who will go on the record at this point, we don't believe
9:07 pm
anything we're hearing. until someone will come forward, show their face and say, here is what's happening. this investigation continues. they are still looking into this. and the reason, by the way, piers, that officials are saying that this was a deliberate act is because of how the plane acted. because of that turn that was made. that turn cannot just happen on its own. and so they believe thought was a deliberate act. now, was it because of fire or was it because of something else in the cockpit? we just don't know. and it is not right to demonize the pilot or copilot or anyone on that flight until we have the evidence. the families of the copilot and pilot and of the passengers are terribly distraught. this obviously going to make the pilot and copilot's lives, their family's lives, much much more difficult. they are being scrutinized now. they are looking at the pilots' simulator. they are still going through and pouring through and trying to go through all that is in that computer and all that is in that simulator to see if there was anything that it tells them anything about what happened
9:08 pm
with missing flight mh 370. but it is not fair to speculate about who was at fault if they did it deliberately with a sinister -- for a sinister reason or if they did it deliberately because they were trying to save the plane and save themselves and the passengers, piers. >> thank you very much indeed. i must say your own reporting the last three weekss has also been spot on. should this investigation now focus on the pilot and copilot? i want to put that question to my experts, mary schiavo, former inspector general of the dot, also miles o'brien, cnn aviation analyst and david soucie former faa safety inspector and author of "why planes crash." lot me go straight to you, david soucie, we've spoken a lot this week. each day a little tiny nugget of information comes out. today we've got 122 apparent fragments of what could potentially be wreckage. we also have again a renewed focus now on the pilot and copilot. what do you make of these developments? >> i think they're all important developments. what i always caution all the
9:09 pm
accident investigations i've ever done you don't start with a conclusion in mind and fill the facts in to support that conclusion. i think that's what we're seeing here. it happens a lot in the investigation. and every day you have a meeting with your team and make sure and you have cross checks and double checks against each other to say is this truly a fact? is it not a fact? do we know this? do we not know that? do we then you've got to start weighing the confidence of the things you do know. you have to question yourself. i think that's what's happening here. >> miles o'brien, i suppose the problem is the malaysian government are trying to i guess quell speculation by saying we believe it plane went down in the ocean. we believe everyone's lost. but of course, all it's done really is increase speculation. because if that is the case, where are the fragments, where is this plane? where are the bodies of the people who died? and what happened? we still don't know really almost anything that explains anything about this plane. >> it's like the cops saying nothing to see here, people. move along. these are conclusions without any evidence to support them.
9:10 pm
the cart before the horse. and the cart is empty. you can't just come out with these statements, especially for families. especially for the families. and the flight crew has families, too. let's not forget that. and they are grieving as well. what a horrible thing to impugn them without any evidence whatsoever. so i think there's a sense in the inside this investigation if we just say a few things it will all go away. that's not happening. >> i completely agree. let's take a short break, come back and get mary schiavo's reaction to this after the break and get further into these new developments and the investigation into missing flight 370. >> from the beginning they just hide everything. i don't think that this kind of government liar and even a murderer can solve anything. scott: appears buster's been busy. man: yeah, scott. i was just about to use the uh... scott: that's a bunch of ground-up paper, lad! scotts ez seed uses the finest seed, fertilizer,
9:11 pm
and natural mulch that holds water so you can grow grass anywhere! looking good, lad! man: thanks, scott. ez seed really works! so, how come haggis is so well behaved? scott: 'cause he's a scotty. man: oh. scott: get scotts ez seed. it's guaranteed. seed your lawn. seed it!
9:12 pm
9:13 pm
frequent heartburn? the choice is yours. chalky. not chalky. temporary. 24 hour. lots of tablets. one pill. you decide. prevacid. ♪ 24 hour
9:14 pm
flight 370 has been missing for three weeks. we still have more questions than answers. my panel is digging into this and families are demanding answers. cnn's david mckenzie, tell me what is going on there. the anger isn't going away. the questions are not being answered. what is the mood like in beijing? >> reporter: the mood is frustrating. and of course angering for these family members. they've wanted answers for all these days, all these weeks now. and they don't believe that the malaysian airlines and malaysian authorities are giving those answers to them. i was at a meeting for several hours between those authorities and hundreds of family members. they were asking very pointed questions to the malaysians, where is the evidence? where's the debris? how can we believe you? the authorities kept on citing the information from inmarsat
9:15 pm
but not really giving their own opinion during that meeting. and that sort of riled the nerves a little bit here in beijing. as we saw though protests earlier this week, the family members here, they are expecting potentially the worst but they don't want to give up hope at this stage. because for them, they want to see something. seeing is believing. and all these new leads and speculation is not always helpful for those family members who are just raw with emotion at this time. >> david mckenzie, thank you very much. i have got one of those family members now. steve wang's mother was on board flight 370. he's one of the family members demanding answers. he says everything he's heard so far is just theory. steve wang is joining me live from beijing. thanks for joining me. first of all let me extend my very deepest sympathies to you and your family and all the families for what is going on here. let me ask you straight away, you were supposed to pick up your mother from the airport. you brought her a coat because it had grown cold in beijing. looking forward to seeing your
9:16 pm
mom, you're an only child. you haven't seen your mother. she never came back. >> yes. >> do you feel in your heart that your mother could possibly still be alive? >> well, i hope so. i know that the possibility is little. but i still have hope. >> do you believe what you're being told by the malaysian authorities? >> i think what we are told is just a theory. and they even do not know how it came out as something like that. they just read the reports. and there's no evidence, no piece from the plane, other things that could make us trust the results. so we don't believe it. >> there was a lot of concern, steven, about the fact that many families heard of the news from the malaysian prime minister
9:17 pm
that he believed the plane had gone into the ocean and that there were no survivors via text message. how did you hear the news? and what did you think of the methods of communication? >> well, i think it's irresponsible action. because they've just received the report in the morning, and they -- they want to give it out in such a hurry. so i think it is irresponsible and once more they sent a message to all of the relatives in english. some of the relatives do not know english. so i think it is not good. >> there's a lot of anger from the families. we see these harrowing images every day. the anger i guess is because there's no resolution to this. tell me how you feel about the investigation itself. do you believe enough is being
9:18 pm
done to try and get to the bottom of what happened? >> well, i think that there must be something that was hidden by the malaysian government. i think that it will come out some days later. >> steven, tell me about your mother. what kind of woman was your mother? >> well, she's an optimistic lady. she liked to travel. she is a nice person. >> you ire an only child. how's your father bearing up with all this? >> well, he is now also waiting for the truth. he is now coming back home. he feels it is not very comfortable to be at the hotel. so i'm waiting at the hotel and my father is waiting at home.
9:19 pm
>> malaysia airlines, we believe, have offered family members financial support of about $5,000 for each of the passengers. does that make any difference to you? is there any kind of comfort? do you need that money as a family? do you know about other families' needs? >> well, to most of the family, okay, some of the family may need some money for emergency use. but most of the family they don't care about how much money you give us. we just want the truth and we just want our relatives back. that is the most we want to see. >> it's obviously, steven, an agonizing time for you and your family and all these families. it's almost a nightmare scenario where people keep trying to say what they believe happened but nobody really knows. what is the constant speculation doing to you? what kind of effect does it have on you and your family? >> i'm sorry? >> i was just asking -- can you hear me steven now?
9:20 pm
>> yeah, yeah. >> i was just asking, obviously because nobody knows enough answers here. nobody knows really what has happened. the constant speculation i would imagine is very difficult for you. >> yes. >> but at the same time, do you believe that people should keep asking questions? hopeful that we may get to some truth? >> yes, we hope that we will get the truth. and i think we may ask for more people to help us. because we are just normal people. and we don't know too much about laws. we don't know too much about the aircraft or something like that. but we need more people to help us. >> your t-shirt, steven, has a slogan in chinese. can you tell me what it says? >> well, it is for "pray for mh 370." back safely.
9:21 pm
>> well listen, as i say my heart goes out to you and your family, to all the families. i hope and pray that you get some good news. obviously it looks unlikely, but we can only pray. and i thank you very much indeed for joining me tonight. >> yes, thanks. >> when we come back, more new details on the investigation into the mystery of flight 370. get my experts to weigh in on key questions. what happened in the ok pit. what have investigators learned about the plot? co pit. what have investigators learned about the plot? k pit. what have investigators learned about the plot? pit. what have investigators learned about the plot? c pit. what have investigators learned about the plot? k pit. what have investigators learned about the plot? pit. what have investigators learned about the plot?
9:22 pm
9:23 pm
9:24 pm
9:25 pm
all questions about flight 370 really come down to this, what happened in the cockpit? joining me now a man who has lots of experience in that area, les abend is a 777 captain with 29 years of flying experience. miles o'brien and mary schiavo. talking to david there on the break about quite an interesting new thought process i think about an established thing, which is if the plane flew at 12,000 feet, the presumption is being that they would have burned off too much fuel too quickly to have got to where the site is. you now believe it would have been possible. >> exactly right, piers. i looked at the numbers. and just my experience in flying jet airplanes i said there's just no way. but i looked at the numbers and confirmed it with a really good boeing source.
9:26 pm
and this gentleman came back and said, i see what you see. and it's very possible. >> david, you've had the same conversations with people which also suggest this could have been possible, this plane could have been flying at 12,000 feet and ended up -- running it out. >> i also independently confirmed his numbers were correct and thought is possible. >> okay. mary schiavo, taking that into account, and taking into account the renewed focus now on the pilot and copilot, obviously we have to make it absolutely clear that they may be completely innocent of any malicious wrongdoing at all. they might be heroes trying to save this plane. we have to make that loud and clear regularly. but at the same time, the investigation obviously is going to be focused on them until we know more about this. what do you think about this in
9:27 pm
relation to the pilot and copilot potentially? >> i think the investigators are making a big mistake, and making a big mistake in police information work. i was a federal prosecutor before i was an inspector general. among the many things i learned doing that is that you don't announce your conclusion. you don't announce that somebody's guilty particularly with no evidence as we have here for two reasons among others. one is that the persons depending on your investigations, the victims of the crime, won't trust the investigation. you've announced your conclusion without any evidence. and so they say, well, what else are you announcing? the other problem with that is a phenomenon called belief persistence. once you announce your conclusion in an investigation you will try to make all the pieces fit that. it is a very common thing that accounts for a lot of wrongful convictions. i think they're making a mistake. because now people will not assume that they're going to be objective and that they're not going to follow all leads such as the one that les just mentioned which sounds pretty plausible. >> miles o'brien, that seems to me a clear potential pitfall of all this, making a narrative fit a potentially small piece of
9:28 pm
information that could be construed in many different ways. i mean, talking about the pilot himself, interesting to me is the copilot, fariq abdul hamid. he was on his first flight as a fully approved pilot for the boeing 777. we know talking to passengers on a few of his earlier flights a few years ago he had a habit of letting random passengers come into the cockpit. are either of these things significant at all? should we give them any credence in casting any aaspersions? >> you don't want to allow passengers in the cockpit. a 27-year-old pilot allowing women in the cockpit i can tell you that was not unprecedented. i can tell you also that has nothing to do with what happened on march 8th, at all. just as the phone call which supposedly the captain made and now we say maybe he didn't or the simulator that he flew, all
9:29 pm
these things are completely irrelevant to the investigation. and these dribs and drabs come out and said in a fashion that makes it sound like they're incriminating but they aren't. let's not forget that. and really, frankly, nothing can be ruled out now. most every scenario you come up with you can run it through. some of the more plausible than others. frankly, the crew being responsible for this is a very plausible scenario but one of many that are still possible. >> let me go to les abend. you are the pilot here. you fly 777s. paint for me a picture where if the pilot, as some people suspect, took this plane off for whatever reason, what happened? in other words, is it possible that he could have shut down all communication, turned off the transponders, acars system? et cetera. could he have done that and taken this plane off in the way that we now know potentially
9:30 pm
ended up in this area? is that feasible? >> of course he could have disabled various systems. but to completely shut off the acars, he would have had to go back into the e and e, the electronics and engineering compartment that's eight feet behind the cockpit and down below the galley. and basically vacate the cockpit. the evidence is such that the acars system was being pinged by the satellite. so he would have had to disable that, too. it just seems so implausible to me. >> you must be talking to pilots all the time about this. i'm talking to random people in the street about this. everyone's obsessed with it for one reason, the mystery remains a mystery. when you talk to pilots, experienced, long service pilots, what is the general feeling you're now getting about what they think is the most likely scenario here? >> most of them kind of align with my malfunction theory and with the fuel issue we just brought up where it is plausible it could have gone a certain
9:31 pm
distance toward the search area. >> what malfunction, les, would have happened that could have caused all the things we believe happened? >> the one and it's a great question. the one malfunction that i've been kind of touting. and granted, it's all speculation. and anything's open for grabs. i could be totally wrong. i could fall on my sword here. but the one i've been going with is the potential for a smoldering fire that became insidious with smoke. they smelled something. at first when you fly airplanes long enough you know the gals have burned something in the ovens. you don't make much of it for awhile. then when it gets worse and worse, then you realize it's time to put on our oxygen mask and then it's time to divert the airplane. because now we have a serious problem. so things started to shut down in that avionics bay. and as it started to shut down they were dealing with a confusing situation with putting on oxygen masks, goggles, breathing through a pressurized system, under stress, trying to communicate the best they could
9:32 pm
with themselves, with air traffic control that may not have been able to answer in that particular area. and they became overcome. that's my basic premise. >> david, you've talked before about the lithium battery potential involvement of this. that would also tally with this. i have read a lot of pieces by pilots, theorizing in a similar way that the most likely -- if it's not some form of hijack, the most likely mechanical failure that explains all this would be a fire. >> absolutely. and when you go back to the lithium, you also have fumes. you have hydrogen sulphate. you have sulphuric acid in the air, being inhaled. that damages lungs quickly. >> les, we want to say good-bye to you. thanks for joining us. when we come back i want to talk about what's been called the best lead yet in the mystery of this flight 370. 122 objects floating in the indian ocean. the search is going on right now to try and locate them. this is mike. his long race day starts with back pain...
9:33 pm
...and a choice. take 4 advil in a day which is 2 aleve... ...for all day relief. "start your engines" did you run into traffic? no, just had to stop by the house to grab a few things. you stopped by the house? uh-huh. yea. alright, whenever you get your stuff, run upstairs, get cleaned up for dinner. you leave the house in good shape? yea. yea, of course. ♪ [ sportscaster talking on tv ] last-second field go-- yea, sure ya did.
9:34 pm
[ male announcer ] introducing at&t digital life. personalized home security and automation. get professionally monitored security for just $29.99 a month. with limited availability in select markets. ♪ with limited availability in select markets. are you still sleeping? just wanted to check and make sure that we were on schedule. the first technology of its kind... mom and dad, i have great news. is now providing answers families need. siemens. answers. (agent) i understand. (dad) we've never sold a house before. (agent) i'll walk you guys through every step. (dad) so if we sell, do you think we can swing it? (agent) i have the numbers right here and based on the comps that i've found, the timing is perfect.
9:35 pm
...there's a lot of buyers for a house like yours. (dad) that's good to know. (mom) i'm so excited.
9:36 pm
has been waiting for. joining me is the president of sub sea services and back with me is miles o'brien an david.
9:37 pm
we had a lot of images in the last week or so. these seem to be the most significant, given the volume, 120 of them, the fact that many were shiny and so on. what did you read in to the details you have seen? >> what i read in to these, again, this is all if they can find an item, if these are the plane. assuming they are wreckage from flight 370, these satellite images just became our biggest clues swrechl multiple images from multiple days from multiple countries. even if it is not public knowledge and we can identify them as the same pieces we have data to plug in to a drift model to follow it back. >> people said to me, if there's all of these satellite images everywhere, the chinese, australia and france now why can't we get them. >> it is a big ocean, moving parts and 30, 40 foot seas and
9:38 pm
winds and they take two days to get there and it is rough and they have to run and hide from a hurricane. it's an extremely daunting task to find them. >> i also in london lived by the river thames for a few years. the amount of stuff that used to just wash past every day. that's not a big busy ocean. it was quite a calm river. that also must be a possibility. this could be anything drifting around. >> it could be anything. and there are trash piles out there in every ocean since plastic was really introduced there's these giant 900-fold increase in trash out there. so this could be a trash pile. in the circulating currents of the ocean. but it's the only lead we have. and it's a lead that has to be chased. if it can be i.d.s as parts of the plane all these objects are extremely valuable.
9:39 pm
>> mary schiavo, you've been involved investigating stuff like this. do you see this as potentially the key lead? >> i see it as one of two key leads. i was most intrigued today about the final additional partial ping. i know that doesn't sound like much. but that is also a source of information where when the sonar scanners and submersibles and equipment to find the pingers finally arrive that is where you would want to send them. the black boxes and heavier parts of the plane would not have floated away. it sightings and this partial ping, that's where i would send the black box equipment to find it. >> david soucie, where is it going with this? are we waiting for these planes, the rescue boats and so on, to find these pieces without those could we have a situation where we never discover what has happened here? >> everybody talks about this deadline on the batteries, you've got seven more days to find it. >> is that true? >> to me it's not. i spoke with some mechanics today. and this one gentleman had been in an audit situation. had he had gone up and audited
9:40 pm
malaysia airlines. what he found was the pinger batteries, which are replaced during a sea check every 1,000 hours, were stored in a hot closet. it's 120 degrees in there. it's humid. remember, these are water-sensing devices. they need to be stored in dry, room temperature or refrigerated. so when they're replaced they know that they're functional. they know the batteries have been working all this time. we don't know that now because he said they found them that way. they did take those batteries, and retire them. they retired those batteries and put new batteries in the refrigerator. since then he's been back and said it's a very lax practice. >> what does that mean? >> what it means these could behalf life batteries. >> which they would have already expired. >> absolutely. absolutely. >> and if that is the case, what does that mean for the investigation? >> now we're down to just a visual inspection like we did with flight 447. if you remember with flight 447 in the first few days, they had
9:41 pm
the tow machine coming around, what's it called? >> the hydrophone. >> yeah. so it's listening for the ping. they went over this area and excluded it. they said this area is no longer valid. so then the rest of the year they had to wait a whole another year to start it again. then they finally realized if they're not on we need to go back and look at what we did before. wasted a lot of time. >> miles, what do you think? you've covered many of these things over the years. from all that has happened in the last three weeks, do you think we've got much time left to actually find this black box and get to the bottom of this? >> it's going to take a little bit of luck to say the least. the weather is worsening there. it's difficult as everybody has said to find these pieces. you see a satellite image, looks intriguing. a couple of days pass. you might get an over flight then a few more days pass before you get a ship there. and take a look at the seas there. that's a pretty calm day on the southern ocean. maybe not too calm. the point is it's going to take a lot of things lining up. that last half handshake from the aircraft is an important
9:42 pm
thing. that will get you not to the haystack but maybe the farm. some drift models and debris might be able to reverse engineer and get to the site. but it's still an awfully big ocean. without that pinging noise, it's all going to rely on visual inspections which is a very laborious process. all of this is coming up and we're coming up on winter. so this might be a mystery that will endure for quite some time. >> captain taylor, just in practical terms, we've got these satellite images from sunday. so we're now wednesday night-thursday morning, is that right, in perth. so four days later, given the rugged conditions of the ocean in that time, so difficult couldn't even go up on two of the days, how far could this stuff have physically moved? >> that's the big question. >> a mile, ten miles, 100 miles? >> easily three miles a day. three knots an hour. that could be 70 miles a day,
9:43 pm
100 miles a day. >> in any direction really. or could they tell the direction it would likely have moved? >> my understanding they're already on-site and dropping bee beacons or buoys to measure the drift.beacons or buoys to measu drift. with that knowledge they should be able to tell that. they're not sharing that with anybody that i know of or i can find. so their knowledge of how fast the currents go should be in their database right now. if they aren't collecting that, i would find it impossible they're not trying to collect as much in location data that they can while they're out there so they can plug it into something. >> captain taylor, thank you very much. the rest of my panel will stay with me. when we come back the families are outraged after almost three weeks of no definitive word on the loved ones. i spoke with a young man who whose mother was on the flight. doesn't know what happened. we'll talk to him after the break. [ male announcer ] this is the cat that drank the milk... [ meows ]
9:44 pm
...and let in the dog that woke the man who drove to the control room [ woman ] driverless mode engaged. find parking space. [ woman ] parking space found. [ male announcer ] ...that secured the data that directed the turbines that powered the farm that made the milk that went to the store that reminded the man to buy the milk that was poured by the girl who loved the cat. [ meows ] the internet of everything is changing everything. cisco. tomorrow starts here. marge: you know, there's a more enjoyable the internet of everything is changing everything. way to get your fiber. try phillips fiber good gummies. they're delicious, and a good source of fiber to help support regularity. wife: mmmm husband: these are good! marge: the tasty side of fiber. from phillips.
9:45 pm
what does an apron have to do with car insurance? an apron is hard work. an apron is pride in what you do. an apron is not quitting until you've made something a little better. what does an apron have to do with car insurance? for us, everything. gundyes!n group is a go. not just a start up. an upstart. gotta get going. gotta be good. good? good. growth is the goal. how do we do that? i talked to ups. they'll help us out. new technology. smart advice. we focus on the business and they take care of the logistics. ups? good going. we get good. that's great. great. great. great. great. great. great. great. great. (all) great! i love logistics.
9:46 pm
9:47 pm
9:48 pm
the families of flight 370 enduring a horrible ordeal. will legal action help them get answers? joining me steven marks, an aviation attorney represents families of air france flight 447. back with me now mary schiavo, miles o'brien and david soucie. steven marks, you've been through a very similar disaster, france 447. took them two years to find the black box in that case. you won lots of money for the families there. before i get your reaction to this development today, i want to play you a clip from my earlier interview with steven wang whose mother was on board when i put to him whether it would be helpful this $5,000 offer that's been made to families so far. this is what he said. >> most of the families, okay, some of the families may need some money for emergency use. but most of the families, they don't care about how much money you give us. we just want the truth and we just want our relatives back. >> steve wang there clearly, he cares more about getting his mother back.
9:49 pm
i'm sure every family would say that right now. but how important in your experience is the financial and legal aspect when this kind of tragedy happens? >> well, the financial aspects of the case come over time. what the families really need at this point are some honest answers and some truth. because they want to find out what happened to their loved ones. unfortunately, thus far they have a lot of reasons to have doubts with the information. sometimes it takes years. i've heard earlier that there are still people who are insisting that some of these other crashes such as silkair was an intentional act, a suicide, when in fact we proved years later thought was a 737 tail rudder. and it takes years to really find the truth. but eventually we are able to find the truth. it does come out. and we'll be able to prove that. compensation will come in due course. >> let me ask just quickly, if for example we take the theory of a pilot or copilot taking this plane off nefariously, who is culpable for that legally?
9:50 pm
is it the airline? is it boeing? is it all of them? who takes responsibility? >> well, clearly it's the airline because under the montreal treaty, the airline has automatic liability. that doesn't prevent other people from also sharing responsibility. it could be independent crew companies that provided the crew, that didn't do proper background checks. there may have been some other person involved with the asisting the crew to do this. so, it doesn't end the question of who else might be involved. whether or not the manufacturer is involved is a more difficult question and hopefully we will get some answers from the black boxes as to what transpired. i think it's very premature. even reckless to say to these families that, in fact, their loved ones were the result of murder opposed to an accident. it's a different type of feeling and hurts the families tremendously to hear that without proof. >> having said that, david
9:51 pm
soucie we don't know either way, do we? can we rule out a bomb, an explosion on board. someone tweeted me about the fire on board. if there were a fire. how can a plane that has a fire ripping through it carry on for hours on end. it doesn't seem feasible. >> these planes are made to with stand a lot. look at the aloha accident. the plane had plenty of time to la land. >> it could have a range of six hours. >> yeah. that's why i think -- >> mary, you want to jump in. >> yeah, you could have a fire and it would be put out because in these planes they are wide body aircraft and have fire
9:52 pm
detection and suppression systems in the cargo hold. valujet 592, the families pushed to get fire suppression in the cargo hold. it's possible the plane itself can deal with an attempt to put the fire out through the suppression system. >> miles o'brien, can we eliminate a bomb? >> i don't think so. i'm talking about maybe a small bomb aimed at the front of the plane, sort of a decapitation type effort, something aimed at the e and e closet where the electronic are. what if it were a small hole that didn't breach the skin of the plane but caused massive failures of the electronic system. if terrorists wanted to save on the size of the bomb you could take a plane down and do a lot of harm than with a smaller bomb than if you were trying to blow
9:53 pm
up the fuel tanks. >> miles n all the of the time you have been covering aviation, have you encountered a story quite like this. >> i'm sorry, somebody was talking in my ear. can you repeat the question? >> have you ever encountered a story like this. >> no. this would be hard to make up and turn in to a treatment in advance. people would say it is implausible. you can not make this stuff up. >> david soucie, clearly huge pressure remains on all of the people involved in this investigation. a lot of community countries now putting a lot of efforts and resource in to. this we know from the air france 447, it can take years to resolve. this story has a kind of momentum of its own at the moment. is there going to be a moment where people get on with their lives and leave the investigators to it? >> there's still people looking for planes that went down hundred years ago. so i don't think it will ever go
9:54 pm
away by itself unless we find something, unless we have something tangible for the families to look at and start to accept what went on. yoit will go away a long time. even after it is solved there will be theories and speculations about other things that might have been the problem. >> steven marks, i asked you earlier if it you a pilot who had taken this out deliberately. if it was a mechanical failure, does the onus move back to boeing and people involved in the engineering of the plane, rather than the airline. what's the normal position of responsibility in that scenario? >> well, the airline's liability would be governed by treaty. if boeing had some responsibility, that could be a case of manufacturing defect, whether design or manufacturing. that case can proceed most probably in the united states where the jury system would allow and the discovery process would allow us to get all of the documentation, evidence and we would be able to reconstruct
9:55 pm
everything that happened, hopefully. that would probably require some of the wreckage to be uncovered, as well as the black boxes. we have reconstructed accidents with very little information. it just takes a lot of hard work. >> thank you both. i will let you both go. david soucie and miles o'brien, stay with me. we will get a short summary of this after the break. yea. try alka seltzer fruit chews. they work fast on heart burn and taste awesome. these are good. told ya! i'm feeling better already. alka-seltzer fruit chews. enjoy the relief! hey there, i just got my bill, and i see that it includes my fico® credit score... is that new? yup, you have our discover it card, so you get your fico® score on every statement. and, it's free. that's pretty cool of you guys. well, we just want to help you stay on top of your credit and avoid surprises. good. i hate surprises. surprise! whoa. is it your birthday? yep. cheers.
9:56 pm
at discover, we treat you like you'd treat you. free fico® credit score. get the it card at discover.com.
9:57 pm
9:58 pm
9:59 pm
>> back with miles o'brien and david soucie. is coverage like cnns overdoing it in terms of theorizing and speculation? what do you say. >> in an accident investigation it's critical to come up with theories. especially when when we don't have anything tangible to say, yes, this was a fire or wasn't. >> why it is critical? >> we don't nooe know where the plane is and we have to find out why. if you take one theory, where it is nefarious intent and they were avoiding radars the plane could be somewhere else. you have to weigh them against the facts. >> do you agree with that? there is no such thing as a bad speculation? >> speculation frame the discussion and the investigation. i hope investigators are not ruling out speculation frankly. >> thank you very much indeed.
10:00 pm
i think speculation should be helpful in solving the extraordinary mystery. the mystery of flight 370 with don lemon starts right now. >> this is cnn breaking news. >> hello, everyone. >> we welcome our viewers in the united states and around the world. >> let's get straight to our breaking news. the search for malaysia airlines flight 370 has been called off because of bad weather. conditions are whoable in the search zone with severe icing and turbulence and near zero visibility. 11 planes and five ships had hoped to scour an area where images of 122 floating objects were reported over the weekend. >> one of those objects is of particular interest, it's 23 meters long, o

tv
Piers Morgan Live
CNN March 26, 2014 9:00pm-10:01pm PDT

TOPIC FREQUENCY Us 7, David Soucie 7, Mary Schiavo 6, O'brien 5, France 4, Beijing 4, U.s. 3, Australia 3, Piers 3, Steve Wang 3, Malaysia 3, Les 2, Cnn 2, Scotts 2, Boeing 2, China 2, Perth 2, Steven 2, Taylor 2, Scott 2
Network CNN
Duration 01:01:00
Scanned in San Francisco, CA, USA
Source Comcast Cable
Tuner Channel v759
Video Codec mpeg2video
Audio Cocec ac3
Pixel width 1920
Pixel height 1080
Sponsor Internet Archive
Audio/Visual sound, color


disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only
Uploaded by
TV Archive
on 3/27/2014
Views
167